It is the end of August, which is a couple of months past the year’s halfway mark, but I haven’t had the time or energy to do a re-cap of my reading year so far. I will be starting my last semester of Grad School next week, and I am looking forward to having free time and money next year when I start working. So far this year I read 35 books, including two re-reads. The goal I set myself for the year was to read more of my favourite authors, which has not really happened. Instead, I have been selecting books I own or have been meaning to get to, rather than new releases. The top 10 list for this year so far includes 5 manga, 2 mystery/crime novels, and 2 middle grade books.
I gravitate towards certain genres when I am in high-stress situations, and this year has been trying so far. For the first four months, I worked full-time at a new job, while living away from my husband, and completing a research study – this was hardly relaxing! The following four months were difficult because of two high-workload courses at school. I hope to end the year a little more comfortably, by taking two fun courses as I finish my Master’s degree (this is less than I normally do), taking more time for myself, and getting a part-time job.
My top 10 books of the year so far are:
10. The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (4/5)
9. The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan (5/5)
8. Night Owls by Lauren M. Roy (3.5/5)
7. Idol Dreams, Vol. 1 by Arina Tanemura (4/5)
6. City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong (5/5)
5. Faithful Place by Tana French (5/5)
4. Idol Dreams, Vol. 2 by Arina Tanemura (5/5)
3. A Silent Voice, Vol. 2 by Yoshitoki Ooima (5/5)
2. The Gods Lie by Kaori Ozaki (4.5/5)
1. Orange: The Complete Collection 1 by Ichigo Takano (5/5)